Tuesday 25 December 2012

Steamed mini buns (Xiao Long Bao)


By Pang Wan Yee


Shang Hai La Mian Xiao Long Bao
Alexandra Village Hawker Centre
Blk 120 Bukit Merah #01-31
Price: $4 (8 pieces)
Rating: 4.5/5


Ever thought that you can only taste delicious and authentic Xiao Long Bao (XLB) at famous restaurants such as Ding Tai Fung, Crystal Jade and Paradise Dynasty? I thought so too! But my perception changed after I visited this stall located at Alexandra village which sells authentic Chinese cuisine.

If you do not know what a XLB is, it is basically a delicate snack that consists of a thin layer of dough wrapping. Closed within, is a small portion of meat engulfed by a flavourful yet light soup based.

To ensure optimum enjoyment of this snack, dip lightly into the vinegar and add some ginger. Then, poke a small hole to release the soup base and consume it while it is hot. But be careful because if it is too hot, you might end up burning your tongue!

So if you’re craving for something light to fill your tummy, head down to Alexandra Village now and try out this delicate snack! Other than XLB, they do sell other food such as pan fried dumplings, shanghai noodles, and more! So check it out now and let me know your take on this snack! :)

2 comments:

  1. cheap xiao long baos!
    i love these little babies and how the soup inside explodes in my mouth!
    thanks for the recc.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of bringing my mum for some XLB this weekend. I don't know if she understands how to optimally enjoy them though. I'm also not sure if I should teach her because as the phrase goes "don't teach your grandma how to suck eggs"...



    ReplyDelete